What to Expect in Counseling
Substance abuse treatment begins with evidence-based cognitive behavioral therapy. Most clients require up to a year of one-on-one talk therapy. Engaging in talk therapy is imperative to the treatment of addiction and substance abuse, as it explores the issues in your life that lead to dangerous addiction, and teaches clients how to overcome these issues and change their behavior.
Some important issues to explore include: substance usage, medical problems, underlying psychological issues, social issues (including family and friends), job concerns and legal problems.
The work is a collaborative effort with therapist and client working together to help the client move forward and stay on a healthy path. Clients are encouraged to utilize outside support groups, exercise, make healthy food choices, engage family support, and maintain a job or participate in volunteer work.
Here are some things I’d like you to know:
• I’m glad you’re here – it’s a great start.
• Everything that is communicated between us is absolutely confidential.
• My focus is on clients who are struggling with substances, and wherever you are, I can say with 99% certainty that I’ve been there too.
• Informational phone conversations are welcome.
• Recovery will begin when you click here to contact me, either by phone or email: just to talk, to ask questions, to set up an appointment – anything.